Monday, August 2, 2010

Forget Me Not

I found my Grandmother's junior high school autograph book from 1942. I had a
blast reading all the things her classmates wrote to her.
Some of them are a little saucy considering that it was written in the '40's by junior high schoolers. It made me LOL literally!
Here are a few of my favorites. I made my own notes in italics.

To anna:

Two in a hammock,
Ready to kiss,
All of a sudden it went
like sıɥʇ.

Your Brother Grad-u-8,
Alfred L.

When you are married
And your husband gets cross
Pick up a broomstick,
and tell him you're boss.

Forget me not,
Betty M.


Prison: J.H.S 73
Cell: 318
Keeper: Mrs. Tilley
Warden: Mr. Gainsboro

Flint

When you get married
Don't marry a flirt.
Marry a man who
Will wash your shirt!

Eleanor

Never make love at the garden gate.
Love is blind but the neighbors aint!

Your classman,
Ellen S.


Some like the tulips
that grow in the park,
but I like the two lips
that meet in the dark.

Your pal,
Laurie

Remember Grant.
Remember Lee.
The hell with them!
Remember me!

sister grad-u-8
Bushie


Ashes to ashes
dust to dust
if it weren't for boys
the girls' lips would rust.

Your friend,
Katricia



Butter is butter
And cream is cream.
What good's a kiss
Without a Squeeze?

Pat M.


The higher the mountain
The higher the trees
The younger the couple
The tighter the squeeze.

Evelyn

Roses are red.
Violets are blue.
Sugar is rationed.
Why aren't you?*

*She's gotten that one a few times in the book. I just think it's great because of the "sugar is rationed" part. It really shows the times.

Our eyes have met
Our lips not yet
but OH!
You kid,
I'll get you yet!

Brother Grad-u-8
Charles D.

Little over-confident there, are we Charles? Hmmmm?


Pins and needles
Needles and Pins
When you are married
your troubles begin

Pal
Vita


˙uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎq
ʞooq ɹnoʎ pǝlıods oɥʍ ʎoq ǝɥʇ ɯ,ı
'uʍoʇ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ʎoq ǝɥʇ ɯ,ı
'ʎʇıɔ ǝɥʇ ɯoɹɟ ʎoq ǝɥʇ ɯ,ı


Bob


Bum ink
Rotten Pen
Best Wishes
Amen

From your cousin,
Sonny A.


There is a darling girl I know.
Boy will I miss her
When I'll go out to fight the foe
This girl is my sister,

Your Brother,
Joe
Anna, Anna as they say
Walking up and down broadway
with fellows at each side
selling kisses
two for five

Your Friend,
Lucy

What are you trying to say, Lucy? Walking down the street, selling kisses! What a friend you are.


You may forget a doll.
You may forget a toy.
But I bet you ten bucks
You don't forget a boy!

Your sister grad-u-8,
Charlotte





Finally here is one my grandfather wrote to her. They didn't meet until after the war, so his is a later addition.


To Doll,

They Say it's a sin to love,
I never asked them why.
But If I sin in loving you,
I'll sin until I die

Love,
Bob



That's all. Sorry if I drove you crazy with the upside down text, but it was necessary, I assure you.
¿ʞuıɥʇ noʎ ʇ,uop ˙sıɥʇ ǝʞıl sʇsod ǝɹoɯ ǝʇıɹʍ plnoɥs ı ʞuıɥʇ ı



No comments:

Post a Comment