Thursday, August 5, 2010

Uncle Jack (Gioacchino) (repost)

























Ok, so this is a repost of my "Uncle Jack" post I put up last month. Apparently I received the wrong information. I finally found the truth (or at least what I'm told is the truth.... and if not, oh well, I'm sticking to this one) about my grandmother's Uncle Jack.

He was in the Italian army during World War I. He was captured by the Germans, and kept as a POW for nine months, during which he ate mostly potatoes. After he came back from the war he would never eat a potato again. He also spent some time in Ethiopia, when Italy was in control of the country.

The photo was probably taken sometime during the 1920s.

Special thanks to Megan, who cleaned and restored this photo for me. Thank you!


No comments:

Post a Comment